YOU SHOULD'VE SAVED



This is a direct translation of the video YOU SHOULD'VE SAVED (А НАДА БЫЛА САХРАНЯЦА).
You can watch the original here [in Russian].

Alina: Hey hey hey! Hello everyone! I'm here today in place of Dima.
Why? Well, you'll figure it out later...

Today I wanted to show you how the videos for this channel are made. Believe me, it's a very intruiging story... Yeah.
[writings on the door: backstage, everything sucks, don't come in, I'm tired, it will kill you, beware of angry artists, fuck this art crap]

Anyway. For the past week Dima's been drawing videos for our new series "Imagine". We wrote the script, Dima voiced it, and personally we really like how it's turning out.

But the video turned out very long, with a duration of over 12 minutes. [Top bar: Video 1, Bottom bar: The last video, The very top bar: what's turning out now] But we thought whatever, fuck it, we'll just work a little bit more. At least it's worth it. [Dima and Alina on screen: Fuck it]

I was eager to see Dima's animatic that he's worked on for the whole week. He doesn't show anything on purpose so that he could do it once it's all fully finished. Dammit, I can't wait. It was especially intruiging when Dima would occasionally laugh out loud at what he's drawn. But he wouldn't show me... bitch. :)

We tried to not get distracted from work and keep at it all day. Apart from this channel we also have a lot of other things, believe me. And the faster we deal with them, the faster we will release the video "about what's planned".

[I tried to decipher it as best as I could. Keep in mind that some parts might be wrong. I'll update it
later in case.]

Sometimes, of course, some factors would distract us... From below. From fucking hell.

The thing is, sometimes we would get calls from our neighbours from downstairs, because we're... walking and giggling too loud. Yes, yes, you know, the problem is exactly that. 

We're not the type of neighbours who drill 24/7 or play music too loud. If we did play music then we’d get serious complaints, because our music is quite heavy. We don’t invite noisy crowds… Basically we behave very quietly, we simply work all day, really. But the complaints are that we… walk and giggle. 

The last time they even threatened to call the police. How often do people call the police because of someone's giggling? Please write in the comments.

Well, whatever, everyone has problems with the neighbours from downstairs, upstairs, left, right. Or maybe you’re that problematic neighbour? Anyway, I’ll return to our cool story.

It’s a beautiful autumn evening, I’m working on my secret Metal Family things, Dima is finishing the video. There was only a little bit left, just a few sounds that needed to be recorded. Dima asked me to plug in the microphone. No problem.

Dima: [a bunch of swearing and yelling]
Alina: He didn’t save. The last time he did it was 3 hours ago.

Yeah, I can agree that it's a tragedy on a planetary scale. I think any person who worked in ANY program, even Word or Excel, understands that the saving problem was, is and will always remain forever. [On screen: Budgetary accounting of funds in 2020] And it’s truly hard when your many hours of work suddenly get erased. 

[Mockingly] Yeah, because why didn’t you save? You should’ve saved!
But believe me, it’s the last thing a person wants to hear after making such a mistake. That’s why please, please don’t write in the comments that we should’ve saved. We know!

Well, it happens. We were stupid.

I dodge all the flying objects, trying to calm Dima down. It’s, no doubt, terrible. It’s fucked. 3 hours of work is a lot. We’ll power through this catastrophe on a truly planetary scale!

I don’t think my words really helped much. Dima probably just accepted the situation and realized that he simply needs to… get over this problem, and do all the work again. It’s hard, but what can you do?

Besides, you know, miracles happen. I think we earned a pretty good karma, considering that it turned out the file actually saved. Sometimes flash does this. Well, it’s called “animate” now, but every oldfag knows what “flash” I’m talking about.

Dima opens the file and you won’t believe it… [error message of doom]
I’ll explain. This message means that the whole file got corrupted and will never, under no circumstances, open again. It’s… a fucking trauma.

It’s not just a tragedy on a planetary scale, but on a scale of the entire universe.




It means that the entire week of work is fully gone. [Mockingly] You should’ve saved different-- Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, we know. But shit happens.

We don’t even have the trivial exported SWF. The people who’re in the know will get it, but for those who don’t understand — it’s a fucking disaster.

After that, Dima silently stood up and locked himself in the bathroom. In case he hadn't drowned himself, I prepared some heart pills and hid all the sharp objects. But not too far. In the event that the neighbors decide to visit.

Actually, I really hope they do come up to us with their complaints, because Dima has a habit of punching the walls… and he shouldn’t hurt his hand like that, he draws with it after all. I think the human body would be a lot softer. As long as he doesn’t punch the face, because faces are somewhat rough. Body’s better, it’s less traumatic. For Dima, of course.

And that’s the cool story, totally without a happy end. I’m sure that with years we will tell this to our children as a scary story before bed.

Child 1: Mom and dad are starting about those cartoons again.
Child 2: Uh-huh. What even is this “flash”?

Alina: Anyway, it's a tragedy. I’m making this video just to, I guess, support Dima. Trust me, he got really upset. The situation where you do something for a long time and then it suddenly just disappears and you have to start over, is scary not only because you have to make some number of effort, but because you simply might give up. And that’s the scariest thing, when you don’t have the mental energy to do it anymore.

In my opinion, spending multiple hours, or weeks, or months to make something is not such a big problem, it’s just physical work. But getting back in the zone and trying to make it not worse, but better — that’s the real problem.

I dunno how interesting this topic was for you, but I noticed that many bloggers build their channels on telling some personal stories, and maybe they even help someone. Help to get over problems.

The moral of this story is as follows: save, make backups… all the time, ALWAYS. And that’s it. We’re gonna go work on it all over again. Stay happy!

Dima: I got the last chord wrong.
Alina: Fuck it.

Comments

  1. Thank you soooo much!!! You have no idea how much I wanted this. Greatly appreciate the translations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please tell the name of the ending song which was played in this video .

    please I really wanna know !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's "Pinkie's Brew Russian Gypsy Jazz" on YouTube: https://youtu.be/B6iXcWrWCEg
      Which, in turn, is a cover of "Pinkie's Brew" from Friendship is Witchcraft: https://youtu.be/682pneYoP0c

      Delete

Post a Comment